Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Google Mi.


Sometimes in life I guess you have to take one step back in order to move forward....sometimes..., taking several steps back can make it easier to take giant leaps forward. At this point of my life,I believe I've taken two steps back...one step back for a decrease in salary, and one step back due to greater distance between my boyfriend and I- geographically, that is, not otherwise =)

Based on conversations I've had with people regarding my employment at Google, there seems to be a great misconception of what the job offers in terms of salary. Let me clarify by saying that: I'm not going to be filthy rich off of this salary..=P Had money been my number one priority, I would sure as hell not have left oil-country-Norway ;-) I do, however, believe that there's more to learn from Google than many other companies.....do I really need to elaborate the reason as to why I believe so? ;-)

First day of work...or "Noogler week", as they so nicely call it, was good. I felt like I was back in school,..and that's a good sign,..it means that I'll be learning a lot.















(* YAh, I had to laugh when I saw these pictures =P)



Hours were spent on listening to what the company has to offer in terms of benefits and perks..pension plans were carefully presented, funds, stocks, health care, insurance...etc. Laptops were given out, and THANK GOD I got a mac ;-)



...Tours were given around the site,..there was a whole lot of handshaking going on..So far, I gotta admit that I love the free stuff..stuff that you spend money on everyday, that doesn't seem like a lot of money there and then, but adds up to be quite a lot..coffee, tea, snacks- chocolate bars, nuts, granola bars, all kinds of juice, and sodas...in every corner of every office floor there is a "mini kitchen"...more like, a kiosk if you ask me,,...where everything is free...I get what they mean when they talk about the famous google-pounds that many gain in the beginning of their employment,,,good thing the gym is free too then ;-)


With every great opportunity comes even greater risks or sacrifices...I try my best to look at the big picture, and I think about the long-term effects/consequences of my choices.....not until recently (this morning, when my boyfriend left to go back home to Oslo) did I realize how incredibly hard this journey is going to be...and I gotta admit that I sobbed when I went back to the empty hotel room after work :-/ ....I'm in it for the experience, and the opportunity to grow..career-wise---personal development and all that cliché stuff....(cliché, but true)....it's going to be hard..but, hey, you can't get stronger if you're only lifting light weights, right?....I'm glad that my boyfriend is who he is..and I wouldn't be with him otherwise <3

If home is where your loved ones are,,,if home is where the heart is..then my heart is in Oslo..but, for now...my job is in Dublin...=)



1 comment:

  1. lol @ the king and queen. I hope you are still liking it there, and that my cousin is integrating you well :D

    ReplyDelete